Monday, July 04, 2005

Beer-Can Chicken

Finally tried the ubiquitous Beer-Can Chicken, which has been popularized in the last few years by Steve Raichlen in his many barbecue books. In a nutshell: You steam a whole chicken from the inside by cooking it sitting on a half-filled beer can over indirect heat. You can find the recipe all over the web, like at Splendid Table and Cooking Light.

I was lucky enough to snag a copy of Raichlen's book, Beer-Can Chicken and 74 Other Offbeat Recipes for the Grill, because I spent a couple of days last week in the offices of Workman Publishing (thanks Debbie!). So we headed upstate to Eloise and Andrew's with the book, two chickens and two cans of Bud.




We used a pork rub on one of the chickens, and garlic, lemon zest and olive oil on the other. Then, after sacrificing half the beer from each can and impaling the poor creatures on the tops, they were ready for the grill.
And I'm not surprised to say that the chickens were very very good. Both rubs were tasty, but I think I preferred the garlic – a bit cleaner flavor. All in all, the chickens were the best we've ever cooked on the grill (not that we've had that much experience, being stuck in a NYC apartment 51 weeks out of the year). They were moist, flavorful, juicy and perfectly done.


2 Comments:

Blogger Baritone Bob said...

I've never tried it...although I've thought about it. We were in a store yesterday and Linda suggested we get the we get a 'beer-can style' chicken roaster for the grill. I replied that I wouldn't have much trouble finding a beer can when it was needed.

from atlanta
B.

7/05/2005 8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was very tasty and very moist. we devoured the chickens like cannibals. i love the photos you took documenting the process! great idea.
elo

7/05/2005 5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home