Friday, June 24, 2005

Dry Scallops Redux

Tried again with the dry scallops; got the big ones this time. They are incredible. Fresh Direct messed up again and gave us bok choy instead of baby bok choy. So I came up with a hybrid of recipes from Elizabeth Schnieder and Good Housekeeping. A little too much dressing for that much bok choy, but good.

Scallops with Lobster Sauce

Sear 3/4 pound dry sea scallops in olive oil in a really hot pan; don't cook them all the way through as they will continue to cook after you take them out and you want them a bit underdone. Transfer the scallops to a plate and place in a warm oven. Add 2 chopped shallots to the pan and cook, stirring, to soften a bit. Add a splash of white wine and about 1/2 cup lobster stock. Reduce to about 1/4 cup and add about 1/4 cup cream; reduce a bit more. Add a squeeze or two of fresh lemon juice. Serve scallops over farfallini (or other small pasta like orzo or ditalini), drizzle with the sauce and a few more squirts lemon juice.


Bok Choy Wilted in Mustard Dressing

Based on ingredients from a recipe in Elizabeth Schneider's Vegetables from A… to Z and a technique from a recipe in The All New Good Housekeeping Cook Book.

2 large bok choy
2 medium scallions
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons olive oil

Cut off the ends of the bok choy and separate the leaves. Wash thoroughly. Cut stems into 1/2-inch pieces and cut leaves into 1/2-inch pieces; keep stems and leaves separate. Mince scallion white parts, and slice green parts

Combine the scallion whites, lemon juice, mustard and salt. Add olive oil and mix well. Warm the dressing in large skillet over medium heat. Add the bok choy stems and cook, stirring, until softened a bit, about 4 minutes. Add leaves and cook, stirring until wilted.

4 Comments:

Blogger Baritone Bob said...

nope, not gonna do it. I made a concious effort to develop a taste for shrimp when I lived in Houston, and for crab when I lived in Maryland. Both are ok. I can barely tolerate squid (a type of mollusk) but I draw the line when it comes to bivalves.

Bob

6/24/2005 8:39 AM  
Blogger Deri said...

Well, all I can say is that you are really missing out. A perfectly seared scallop is one of nature's wonders, and a joy to behold.

And you know, if someone has to teach himself to like shrimp, I'd guess that he also wouldn't touch anything equally innocuous, like, say, EGGS!

6/24/2005 11:20 AM  
Blogger Baritone Bob said...

It is a shame, because otherwise I would be all over this harvesting season which comes along every summer.

6/24/2005 11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Aunt Deri,
its gina. well since dad told me that you were intrested in scallops and put some recipes on your blog i had a great idea.Scallop Hunting season just started. I thought maybe when you came down we could do that, i guess it would consist of going into the ocean on a boat untill we reached a good area and snorkling down to the bottom with a net and well, hunting them. Just an idea. it probally won't work out but i thought it was cool.looky here
Gina

7/04/2005 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home